Throughout their history, people have traded with each other, and this action has risen from a primitive natural exchange to a real art with its own laws, secrets and rules. A merchant, a marketer is now a demanded and respected profession. Every person, regardless of age, status and social status, is a sure buyer. Every thing is a commodity.
Art and calculation
Many different specialists have appeared in this area: marketers, merchandisers, traveling salesmen, and so on. Trade has now become a big industry. The abundance of goods, the abundance of shops, large and small, makes retail outlets compete with each other for the buyer. The shopper is the one who generates the store’s profit, and each of them is willing to use a variety of techniques to attract and retain it.
What is the secret of the commercial success of a trading enterprise? Why nearby outlets with a similar assortment and even pricing policy can differ in terms of revenue?
To be successful, you need to know certain techniques. One of them is a competent display of goods in the trading floor. The word “literate” is not a figure of speech here. This is a whole science based, in particular, on the knowledge of psychology. There are, of course, people, and there are quite a few of them, who shop spontaneously. So they came to the store and often, without a special scheme, buy any product that they liked. They are also called shopaholics. And here it depends on the calculation what and how much he will buy. It would seem that there are no problems with such a buyer, this is a godsend for any trading enterprise, but if it is interested in making this find a regular in their store, then the store staff will master the rules for displaying a variety of goods in the trading floor as a multiplication table. But even if a person is not inclined to impulsive actions, but approaches this rationally, or maybe even accidentally entered the store, the same principles of displaying goods on the trading floor work here. It is they who help turn randomness into regularity.
What tasks is the layout intended to solve? This is even done by specially trained people – merchandisers. And they pursue goals:
- Facilitate the process of finding the right product for the buyer
- Increase sales in the store.
Trade is an area that often plays on human weaknesses. Therefore, it is so important to take into account all the nuances and present the product in such a way that you will certainly want to buy it. Layout in the right hands is able to manage the emotions of the buyer and his impulsive impulses. She leads the customer from counter to counter and, as it were, dictates what exactly needs to be put in the basket. And now you already obey this flow, and take what you did not plan.
The principle of displaying goods on the trading floor always obeys the logic of consumer demand. Display is the distribution of goods on the retail space. It is not complete without special equipment. Not to be confused with placement. Placement is just a location on the marketplace. Every supermarket, supermarket and even a small stall is interested in having regular customers, which means that the service and the shopping process itself should deliver as many pleasant emotions as possible.
Principles and rules
The store will not experience problems with the sale and attendance of customers if the displays of the offered goods are subject to the following principles:
- Convenience and consistency of location. It is this trick that “helps” the buyer to make impulsive purchases. When purchasing a product for which he came, he will come across another, connected with this and logically complementing it.
- Location in the trading floor. You’ve probably noticed that consumer goods are often found in the very back of the store. This is done on purpose so that, having entered, for example, for bread, the buyer walked around the entire store, perhaps he will grab something else along the way.
- Positions. The buyer’s gaze moves as if through the pages of a book – from left to right. If we take this circumstance into account when laying out goods on shelves, then the most popular ones should be placed at the beginning of the movement of his eyes. These are the most lucrative locations. Even more emphasis can be made if laid out on the ends of the shelves. The layout, as it were, guides the buyer’s hand, thereby helping to meet the interests of the store. He (the store), in particular, is interested in the goods being sold out completely, so products with an expiring shelf life are placed under the arm, closer to the buyer.
- Very selling items are packaging, name or brand. Therefore, the principle of “product by face” is always relevant. You can also not cover it with advertisements.
- The best selling is what is at the level of the buyer’s eyes. Therefore, these shelves are called “gold”. A competent merchandiser will certainly take this rule into account.
- The product must not be allowed to sit in one place on the shelf. It must be moved so that different things are in the most convenient position – at the buyer’s arm’s length.
- There are places on the shelves where the buyer rarely looks (the so-called “dead zone”). These are inconvenient places, they are usually not noticed. Therefore, it will be correct if seldom purchased goods are placed either in the lower left corner of the rack, or on the uppermost shelves. However, the store can create a kind of intrigue by placing consumer goods in these disadvantageous places. The buyer will look for them in the store anyway.
- It is important to be able to make the most of your shelf space. To make the product easy to take, it should be located from the edge of the shelf at a distance of 2 fingers (3-4 cm). If less – it will be difficult to take, if more – useful area disappears.
- Promotions and discounts are posted at the entrance. This makes it easier for the buyer to tune in to purchases and formulate an idea of the store’s pricing policy. The product at the entrance to the hall should lure the buyer.
- To force the shopper to walk around the entire store before he gets to the checkout, popular products are placed in depth, as mentioned in the article. There is such a concept in trade as the “golden triangle” of a store. This is the path from the entrance to the desired department and to the checkout. Any outlet is interested in making it as wide as possible.
- A good “trick” is the display of goods that complement each other. This is a familiar trick, and it echoes the first point. Nearby located tea and sweets, meat and spices, as it were, push you to buy something that you actually did not plan.
- Pursue commercial interests. A product that is not in demand and does not make a profit should not take up much space in the store.
These 12 principles of selling goods are the ABC of successful trading.
The display of the assortment in the sales area can be designed in accordance with the concepts:
- Ideological – goods subordinate to a certain direction are grouped, for example, “here you will buy everything you need for the kitchen,” “preparing for the prom,” and so on.
- By types and styles (juices and nectars, biscuits and waffles, butter and margarine are located next to each other).
- By appointment (mayonnaise on one shelf, sauces on the other).
- Respectable-specific (elite teas and coffees are laid out in accordance with the variety and country of origin)
And once again about the rules
And now, in fact, about the rules for displaying goods:
- It must obey certain laws so that the impression of chaos is not created.
- Departments in the store exist in order to group products by purpose.
- The principles of a successful layout are not to mix different categories of sentences with each other. The exception is gift sets.
- Vertical shelves are more efficient than horizontal ones.
- It is unacceptable to leave empty shelves.
- Price tags should be clear, accurate, and located exactly under the item. This rule must be followed out of respect for the buyer.
Summarizing the achievement of goals
With the help of the correct display of the goods, the store solves the following tasks:
- Selects the products of a specific manufacturer, if required by marketing. Emphasizes the availability of a certain product in the sales area.
- Pulls up the level of sales of not “promoted” goods.
- Creates a positive store image.
- If you need to sell something with a short shelf life as quickly as possible and avoid returns and re-grading, then a lot depends on the method of calculation.
- A correctly laid out product increases the average buyer’s check.
There are a lot of products in the store, especially if it is a large supermarket. Finding your way is not so easy. It is believed that the central part is in the buyer’s attention zone first of all, and this is true, but the edge can be no less successful if you remember that the buyer’s gaze moves from left to right.
It is time, finally, to move from the display of goods to the trading equipment, which provides and makes this display effective. These include racks, showcases, slides, packing tables, counters, stands, cabinets, fitting rooms and much more. These are also hangers, stands, baskets. Different equipment is used depending on the type of display. It is subdivided according to several criteria: functional – for display and display in a store, for packaging, transportation and storage; at the location – the goods are laid out in the trading floor or are in the warehouse; by the method of installation – along the walls along the perimeter, in the center, built-in or hinged; specialized, made for a certain type of goods, or universal; material of manufacture – it can be metal, wood, glass, and so on; construction – folding, prefabricated, non-separable, sectional; the nature of production – experimental, serial or mass.
Any equipment for any purpose is offered by LITSTYL. For trade enterprises, this is a godsend, since the equipment of this company will allow the store to facilitate the way of selling goods as much as possible and satisfy the most demanding taste of the buyer. Any product will look advantageous on the shelves and shelves offered by this company. An important advantage is the optimal combination of price and quality. Mannequins, racks, showcases have increased wear resistance and durability, they will not fail for a long time. The company manufactures equipment for shops of any type: ordinary grocery and expensive boutiques. In addition, any rack can be a decoration of the hall. LITSTYLE also pays a lot of attention to an attractive appearance.
So, the importance of product display cannot be overestimated for the success, popularity and image of the store. That is why so much has been said about it. Take a good mood with you and go shopping. Enjoy shopping.