Retail is an area where you can achieve financial success faster. This article will help you figure out where to start opening a store.
?Finance: how much do you need?
If you are interested in what you need to open a store, then the first thing you need is the initial capital. It can be your own or in the form of a bank loan to start a business.
The prices for renting a retail space depend on the locality and the location of the facility. In an average city with a population of one million, premises for rent of 20-30 sq. m will cost from 2 to 5 million rubles per month. The expense item should also take into account the amount for the repair and purchase of commercial equipment.
In addition, at the initial stage, you will need from 700,000 to 2-3 million rubles for the purchase of goods, as well as a certain amount for staff salaries (for 2-3 sellers, 30 thousand rubles each, plus a percentage of sales and about 25,000 rubles for an outsourcer accountant). Thus, according to the most conservative estimates, the amount required to open a store is 5-8 million rubles.
?Where can I get the money?
If you don’t have your own savings, then you need to start dealing with the issues of opening a retail outlet by looking for a source of funding. Most often, start-up entrepreneurs turn to a bank. However, in order to obtain a loan, it is required to mortgage the property. There are two options: take a loan for business development or a loan without specifying goals. In the first case, the conditions are better, but the business is required to be operational, that is, you can submit the appropriate reporting.
It is not recommended to take out a loan in foreign currency or with a floating rate, as their riskiness is very high. As a last resort, such an option can still be considered, but only with a maturity of no more than 12 months.
If you are very lucky, you can find an investor who will agree to provide you with the required amount, provided that they will receive a percentage of the profit in the future.
In some cases, friends and relatives may come to the rescue, who will lend you the necessary amount for a specific period or without specifying it, or will become your partners.
What you need to open a store: choose an LLC or an individual entrepreneur
You will be able to work only after you register with the relevant government agencies. There are 2 options: to obtain the status of an individual entrepreneur (IE) or open an LLC.
Opening a store as an individual entrepreneur is the most popular option when it comes to a small retail outlet or you decide to debut as a businessman.
Among the advantages of an individual entrepreneur, one can note the absence of the need to keep records and small taxes. As for the LLC, then opening your own store with this form of business organization means getting the opportunity to work with partners. In addition, only in this case will you be able to trade in alcoholic beverages.
Collecting the necessary documents is one of the steps towards starting your own retail business.
The composition of the package of documents depends on whether you have chosen an individual entrepreneur or decided to register an LLC.
So, what paperwork is required to open a store as an individual entrepreneur. You will need to prepare the following package of documents:
- a photocopy of a civil passport and TIN certificate;
- signed application (if documents are submitted through proxies, then notarization will be required);
- a receipt for payment of the state duty;
Together with these documents, you can also submit an application for the transition to the simplified tax system.
The registration procedure lasts no more than 5 days, upon completion the applicant is handed or sent by mail a certificate of state registration as an individual entrepreneur and an extract from the USRIP.
To register an LLC, the following must be submitted to the authorized tax authority at the place of residence of the entrepreneur:
- signed statement;
- photocopies of civil passports of the founders of the Company and its director;
- a receipt confirming the payment of 4 thousand rubles as a state duty;
- charter in 2 copies;
- decision on the establishment of the Company, if there is only one founder, or the agreement and minutes of the meeting of several co-founders;
- You can also submit statements about the desire to switch to the simplified tax system.
In this case, the documents must indicate the legal address. If the premises are not owned by any of the co-founders of the LLC, then you will also need to submit a letter of guarantee.
5 working days are given for registration. The entrepreneur receives:
- a copy of the charter with a mark of registration;
- certificates of registration and registration with tax authorities, as well as the assignment of TIN;
- extract from the Unified State Register of Legal Entities.
Both individual entrepreneurs and LLCs intending to conduct retail or wholesale trade must notify Rospotrebnadzor of the start of business. The document can be delivered in person, or sent by “regular” or e-mail (through the portal of public services).
Search for premises
Thinking about where to start opening a store? Some novice businessmen have been hatching this idea for a long time and decide only after they find a suitable premises. Choosing him is a serious task, since the cost of a mistake will be very high. When looking for a suitable room, you need to consider:
- Range. It is better to open a grocery store or a retail outlet offering household goods in busy places in a residential area, and boutiques with expensive clothes in a shopping center.
- The target audience. The store should be located where there are many people on a daily basis who can be categorized as target customers. So that you do not have to spend a lot of money on advertising, it is better to open a store in a room with a facade facing a crowded street, or in a pavilion on the central highway of the shopping center. In the first case, it is important that there are enough parking spaces nearby.
- Environment. When choosing a place to open a store, ask who will be your neighbors. Obviously, 2 stationery stores on the same street is overkill, but a bakery that makes custom-made cakes next to a wedding and party agency can provide each other with an influx of targeted customers.
- Price. Sometimes cheap rentals can lead to unforeseen expenses. For example, it may turn out that you need to make redevelopment, repair electrical wiring, etc.
- Personal factors. Very often, at the initial stage of a business, a businessman himself acts as one of the sellers. In this case, the remoteness of the place from the house, etc., should be taken into account.
Opening any store requires the “right” suppliers. This is also an important point on which the success of the business will depend not least. When choosing, consider the following factors:
- Reliability. This is the most important criterion. Reliability is understood as how the supplier is honest in calculations and punctual in deliveries.
- Price. Give preference to those suppliers who offer goods with minimal prices.
- Range. Better to do business with an entrepreneur who can offer you a wider range of products.
- Brand. Most consumers prefer the products of the most well-known and promoted brands, especially since such manufacturers care about their reputation and the buyer can return or replace the product without any problems.
- Bonuses. When choosing a supplier for your store, you should find out whether he offers discounts and deferred payments, whether it is possible to issue goods for sale, etc. All this will increase profits, so they definitely should not be neglected.
Experienced store owners recommend working with 2-3 suppliers. If the supplier is nonresident, then it is better to work with those wholesalers, in which you can organize logistics by rail.
If you intend to open a store (you already know where to start), then take care of the correct selection of personnel.
As practice shows, whether customers will, over and over again, use the services of your store, not least depends on who you entrust to serve them. Even one salesperson who is conscientious about his duties and is familiar with the psychology of consumers will be able to raise the level of sales at times.
Finding a professional is quite difficult, so you should do this already at the stage of paperwork for opening a store. As a rule, good sellers are in demand, but you cannot offer them such a salary that they agree to leave their previous job and move to your institution. Better to attract conscientious newbies. The main selection criterion should be the presence of presentation and communication skills, quick wit and personal charm, since the buyer is unlikely to want to heed the advice of a gloomy and rude seller. In addition, it will be nice if someone you know recommends an applicant for a job in your store.